Home Improvements Union is an award-winning design and build firm that specializes in kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling, finished basements, attics, home additions, garages, whole house renovations, deck remodeling, siding installation, window and door replacements in Nashville. We are committed to developing long-term relationships with our customers. We will exceed expectations and gain your trust through superior performance by every member of our team in Nashville. We pride ourselves on bringing professionalism to a trade that has a well-earned, poor reputation.
Ideas For Attic Remodelling
Remodeling is tricky business. Some builders think it's harder than new construction! And, in some ways it is. You have to match existing conditions and sometimes this means trying to stick a square peg in a round hole! Depending on how old and what kind of shape your building is in... will determine how you remodel it. A real colonial home (I mean one built in the 1700's not a "colonial reproduction") for example has construction techniques that aren't used (or rarely) anymore like hand laid stone foundations, hand-blown glass, hand carved mouldings and clapboards and post and beam construction.
10 Step - Quick Start Check List
1 Take stock of what you GOT!!!
- What kind of shape is your home in?
- Are utilities upgraded?
- Is the structure solid?
- Do you have enough space to work within the existing walls?
- Gather your ideas - magazine articles - books - photos
- Figure out the style - color - look that you want
- Write down a half page vision statement for the look and feel of the job.
- Traditional - modern - white - eclectic - country - high tech?
- Do you need more space or can a more efficient layout do the job?
- Planning is key - who will design and specify the plans for your remodel?
- Architect? Designer? Interior Designer? Design/Builder?
- Who will process the permits? (sometimes a bigger job than you might think!)
- Who will build it? o Who will do the fine finishing's - colors - curtains - art hanging
- Line 'em all up early
- Overdo the planning! The more you figure out things on the front end the better the pricing, speed and quality of the job! o Make a simple model - use foam core board
- Draw elevations of all walls in the kitchens and bathrooms.
- Specify the flooring, the trim carpentry, the cabinets, the back splash, the ceiling detail, the windows and doors, the fixtures and appliances.
- Think about where the mechanical systems will go - heat/AC - plumbing - electric
- Don't forget about low voltage wiring - phones - computers - alarms - TV
- Review products and procedures for environmental impact
- Energy usage - use EnergyStar appliances
- Toxicity - low VOC paints o Efficiency - make it work well
- Durability - use products that last and have low maintenance
- Have your builder draw up a "Rough Budget" showing the line items.
- Things will change as you finalize your plans - but start early - and adjust your budget
- Remember - you will spend more than you think - so set a budget lower than where you want to finish up
- Don't rely on square foot cost ballparks - they don't make any sense!
- Get the architect/designer layout a schedule of the planning process - including the permit process - then check it with your city/town
- Have your builder draw up a rough schedule while you are still planning the project
- Understand the linear fashion of construction - if you make a change in the middle of the project you can ruin your schedule!
- Get your builder to finalize the costs and draw up a specific contract.
- Base the payouts on milestones of completion in the project.
- Specify products and installation procedures - oversight - clean up - security of the job - warranty of the work - follow up after completion
- Re do the schedule based on the final plans and specifications.
- Keep your eye on the project but don't interfere
- Ask your builder to provide a schedule and keep updating it
- Require weekly meetings and project memos that show work done - to be done and RFI's (request for information)
- Get all the owners manuals and warranties for all the products used
- Finalize billing o Obtain notice of completion
- Obtain "signed off" building permit
- Finalize punch list items
Remodeling - 10 Step Quick Start Checklist
Remodelling your bathroom can give a fresh new look to your house and, because style is always changing, it is important to keep a modern look to one of the most important rooms in your house. You may want to change the format of your bathroom, or you may just want to modernise it with new furniture and colours. Either way you will need to plan your remodelling very carefully in order to get the best results and create an efficient bathroom environment. It is not always that easy to reformat a bathroom, this is because of the numerous different plumbing elements which are involved in the bathroom, the main issue comes when you try and switch the toilet sink or bath/shower around which can be very troublesome indeed.
Before you dive right in and start buying new furniture and appliances for your bathroom, you need to plan out very carefully how you want your bathroom to look. Try to create a consistent style throughout the bathroom which will not age too quickly over time. The best way to do this is to spend more money on things like the sink and the bath in order to have a hard wearing yet stylish bathroom for years to come.
You may want to have something extremely modern and contemporary, but this is not for everyone and largely depends on the style of the rest of your house. Sometimes a vintage and lavish bathroom can add a true sense of luxury to your house, however if your house is very new and does not fit this theme then it may look out of place. Try to pick fairly neutral colours which give a sense of class to your bathroom but are not entirely boring.
There is some fantastic furniture out there for bathrooms which can really make it stand out, however many people do not realise this and simply go for the standard plain white sink and bath/shower. Talking to a bathroom specialist may help you better understand the best way to build a functioning yet stylish bathroom. In fact it may be worth your time and money to hire a bathroom designer who can create something truly special for your house.
Contact us to Learn More about our Services
24 Hour New Construction Contactor Nashville