Home Improvements Union is an award-winning design and build firm that specializes in kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling, finished basements, attics, home additions, garages, whole house renovations, deck remodeling, siding installation, window and door replacements in Nashville. We are committed to developing long-term relationships with our customers. We will exceed expectations and gain your trust through superior performance by every member of our team in Nashville. We pride ourselves on bringing professionalism to a trade that has a well-earned, poor reputation.
Ideas For Attic Remodelling
The attic in ones home is generally considered to be a dusty and unusable space, except for storing junk in perhaps. But with a slight bit of attic remodelling it is quite possible to transform this vacant space into a very desirable room.
We will often find ourselves running out of living space in the home and not having an idea as to how to go about creating extra space in a cost effective manner. So as with many other questions, the answer is simple, look upward and ask.
Now while your attention is concentrated upward, open your eyes and you may just be surprised at what you see. Above you there very well may be the answer to your question concerning where will you find space?
The attic is a perfectly inhabitable space in the home once you have made a few minor changes. It all depends on the budget which you have to work with as to how extravagant these changes may be, but with a bit of effort and planning and relatively low cost you will be able to transform the attic into one of the nicest rooms in your home.
One idea might be to remove a section of the roof, put in a window frame and windows to allow the sunlight in and already you have made a major difference to the attic, now how easy was that?
Put in some decent flooring and clean the place up nicely and now you really are getting somewhere. A few minor changes when it comes to attic remodelling are bound to make the world of difference. These need not be extravagant changes and are not likely to cost you much at all.
There are so many more ideas which may be used when it comes to attic remodelling and so many ways in which you will be able to make this a very unique and sought after room, after all, it will have the best view in the house.
As you now may see, creating more space in ones home need not be a costly or time consuming affair, all it requires is a bit of thought and perhaps a few fresh ideas.
Remodeling Dos and Don'ts
Remodeling is tricky business. Some builders think it's harder than new construction! And, in some ways it is. You have to match existing conditions and sometimes this means trying to stick a square peg in a round hole! Depending on how old and what kind of shape your building is in... will determine how you remodel it. A real colonial home (I mean one built in the 1700's not a "colonial reproduction") for example has construction techniques that aren't used (or rarely) anymore like hand laid stone foundations, hand-blown glass, hand carved mouldings and clapboards and post and beam construction.
10 Step - Quick Start Check List
1 Take stock of what you GOT!!!
- What kind of shape is your home in?
- Are utilities upgraded?
- Is the structure solid?
- Do you have enough space to work within the existing walls?
- Gather your ideas - magazine articles - books - photos
- Figure out the style - color - look that you want
- Write down a half page vision statement for the look and feel of the job.
- Traditional - modern - white - eclectic - country - high tech?
- Do you need more space or can a more efficient layout do the job?
- Planning is key - who will design and specify the plans for your remodel?
- Architect? Designer? Interior Designer? Design/Builder?
- Who will process the permits? (sometimes a bigger job than you might think!)
- Who will build it? o Who will do the fine finishing's - colors - curtains - art hanging
- Line 'em all up early
- Overdo the planning! The more you figure out things on the front end the better the pricing, speed and quality of the job! o Make a simple model - use foam core board
- Draw elevations of all walls in the kitchens and bathrooms.
- Specify the flooring, the trim carpentry, the cabinets, the back splash, the ceiling detail, the windows and doors, the fixtures and appliances.
- Think about where the mechanical systems will go - heat/AC - plumbing - electric
- Don't forget about low voltage wiring - phones - computers - alarms - TV
- Review products and procedures for environmental impact
- Energy usage - use EnergyStar appliances
- Toxicity - low VOC paints o Efficiency - make it work well
- Durability - use products that last and have low maintenance
- Have your builder draw up a "Rough Budget" showing the line items.
- Things will change as you finalize your plans - but start early - and adjust your budget
- Remember - you will spend more than you think - so set a budget lower than where you want to finish up
- Don't rely on square foot cost ballparks - they don't make any sense!
- Get the architect/designer layout a schedule of the planning process - including the permit process - then check it with your city/town
- Have your builder draw up a rough schedule while you are still planning the project
- Understand the linear fashion of construction - if you make a change in the middle of the project you can ruin your schedule!
- Get your builder to finalize the costs and draw up a specific contract.
- Base the payouts on milestones of completion in the project.
- Specify products and installation procedures - oversight - clean up - security of the job - warranty of the work - follow up after completion
- Re do the schedule based on the final plans and specifications.
- Keep your eye on the project but don't interfere
- Ask your builder to provide a schedule and keep updating it
- Require weekly meetings and project memos that show work done - to be done and RFI's (request for information)
- Get all the owners manuals and warranties for all the products used
- Finalize billing o Obtain notice of completion
- Obtain "signed off" building permit
- Finalize punch list items
Contact us to Learn More about our Services
Discount Remodeling Contractor Nashville